It’s been a quick week, let alone month. A crazy month to boot. From snow for most of it to beautiful weather and golf courses opening up. I’m actually a bit excited for it. I’m still debating on whether or not I’ll be purchasing a membership this year, but like usual, I’m thinking I need to get out and enjoy the outdoors a bit more than I have been. Feels like I’ve been cooped up all winter long. Plus, I really need to lower my handicap!
I’ve left Traders alone for a while. I haven’t had much “drive” to work on it as I’m in a bit of a stalemate with it. Once I complete a plan on doing the login/stat keeping side of it, along with pre-fab maps, I’ll most likely dive back into it. But for now, I want to take more of a creative turn to game making, thus Mouse.
More on that…
I’m terrible at art. I have a great vision in my head, but what I produce is simply not that. Making I should just download my brain? Anyone have that cord handy? I spent the good majority of the week googling templates and sprites and such, even came across and read through a bunch of tutorials. So instead I’ve turned off the finicky main character sprite and moved on to something I do know how to make, code.
I started by brushing up on a lot of Sphere API with regards to entities. After much messing around, I managed to do some controlled movement to mimic the opening sequence in my head. It doesn’t look terrible… but the temporary sprite I’m using makes it look a bad cartoon when its a serious scene.
Ignoring that fact, I’ve got a lot of art to do. The scene consists of a character running down a hallway dropping papers every so often. I’ve made it so when the ‘player’ move past the point the tile is changed to a fallen piece of paper. So obviously, the paper falling is yet to be done. I also want to adjust his speed in various points of the run, and possibly bend over to attempt to recover a piece. Also needed is the sprite with the paper in hand, naturally.
The other thing, the walls… are soooo bland.. haha. Aww fuck. Anyway, I’m going to start rough mapping the rest of the opening and start setting up the opening game play. I’m most likely going to start delving into the game menu some more and work on a rudimentary save/load system. I think it’d be smart to get the basics of it done before the game gets bigger and I end up missing something that may be hard to keep track of. Planning saves headaches!
I also started a bit of debug mode on the game to test certain systems. Once I get more visual production I’ll snap some screens.