April 28, 2017
Posted by on
I’ve spent the better part of the last couple of weeks going crazy over Canasta. It seems today it has finally paid off. I’m glad to announce that it right near reaching that elusive 1.0. It was a mighty struggle over the last few days in getting the AI to act properly under certain conditions, but after some constructive bug hunting, many of those have subsided. It was surprising to have the AI beat me, even when I could see their hands. I’ll have to dust off some strategies so that doesn’t happen again.
So, what’s missing before the 1.0 release? Well, there’s still a few things I’d like to clean up before I release it to the world (all… 3 of you that might see this,) I want to polish some of the animations I’m currently doing and adding a few tool tips in regards to game-play. It’s bad when you, as the script-er, forget some of the controls and necessary keys to actually play the game. I will also have to write some sort of ‘rules’ document to accompany the game as its not a completely common game to most. I was toying with the idea to have a bit of a sample hand, but I think that’ll be a 2.0 experience.
After the release of Canasta coming soon I can focus my energy on a game that’s been cooking up in my head this past while that just recently started hitting paper. I began thinking that one of my major pitfalls of getting ‘mouse’ or what should starting calling ‘rat’, is the lack of planning. It terms of canasta & traders I’ve actually planned a lot of the games’ GUI, functions and features on paper/word doc. I need to start doing this for ‘rat’ more extensively.
At roughly three o’clock this morning, when I had a bit of trouble sleeping, I opened up notes on my iPhone and started jotting down the ideas and story that I’ve concocted in my brain. Currently I was struggling with how to tie certain ideas together to make it all work. The biggest struggle for sure has been debating between sand-boxing and a more linear story line. As of now, it’ll be a mix of both, with more of a loose story and more of a sandbox given the universe it is loosely (or tightly [undecided]) based in.
But for now, Canasta is going to make the jump to 1.0. Stay tuned.
May 27, 2015
Posted by on
I’m getting there.
Slowly as all hell. I’m not entirely sure at the moment what is really killing my motivation. I don’t know if it was the final couple weeks of striving to get Traders (CATAN) out or if I’m still in a bit of indecision mode. I’m trying to conquer that with my 30 in 30 challenge I proposed myself, but to actually open the editor is becoming a struggle some days. Things need to be perfect for me, I have a little bit of OCD… Another issue is that I’m not by any means a pixel artist. I’m getting better at it but it is SLOW going. Lastly I think the biggest issue or real, noticeable progress is that I’m thinking I’m worrying about the games’ systems and how they all tie together and I want to make it whole and proper.
So that’s it… I’m torn between super planning everything, and just saying fuck it and start coding, if I have to re-write chunks, I re-write chunks. So here it comes, I’m going today’s portion of the challenge. I’m doing a hybrid of the two. I’m going to sit down on paper and chew out the details and what system I need and what it will/can tie into. This way I know what needs to stand alone and what needs to be nested with other portions of the game.
Any-who, back to the challenge… I owe seven game related material.
– I made dynamite
– I made a sabre/sword but energized weapon
– I made a shovel
– Inventory/game menu will be very similar to the original Legend of Zelda, including the transition to it.
– The library you first enter in the game is initially empty except for one book.
– The only person left in the bar is drunk and passed out
– The library now has a map in the editor and the floor is being decided.
So there you have it, another week of decisions. Hopefully next update will include a bit of game structure in it. 14/30…. might just run a marathon now! Ha…