December 28, 2018
Posted by on
Sphere is interesting in more ways than one. Sometimes I wonder if it’s Sphere’s behavior or if it is the robust nature of variables that make Sphere act obscure or maybe it’s just me and I honestly don’t know what I’m doing. The reason I bring this up is that depending on the function I’m calling, it doesn’t like taking a string verses a number, and vice versa. However, when I use alternate functions which in the same type of structure requiring the same results, things work fine. Drives me bonkers.
I’m only guessing this is because of filenames and how some functions return results.
After some late night headaches I managed to accomplish a fairly big deal (in my mind), saving & loading. It was a nightmare in some regards which required a great deal of testing and debugging. There were a few instances where I was like, “wow, I got it!”, then I dug a bit deeper and it was a false hope. But after a ton of meddling and play testing… it works. So after that major hurdle, things can continually progress.
Speaking of debugging, if you’ve noticed the last couple of screenshots posted in the mouse folder, you’ll notice the garble of text on the left side of the screen, it’s mainly debugging information. I managed to squeeze in my own debugger console (as I have previously with Traders and Canasta). Makes a lot of bug testing go a ton faster as opposed to using logs and Abort calls.
Now since I’ve got saving and loading files/information under control, now I’m going to implement “save points” to further add information to be saved (mainly, character information, inventory, keys, camera positions, etc) then to story handling with dialogues and eventually, cut-scenes.